The International Institute for Asian Studies publishes The Newsletter four times a year. With a worldwide circulation of nearly 13,000 institutes and individuals in Europe, North America, Australia, and Asia, The Newsletter is a forum for scholars to share commentary and opinion; research essays; book, journal and website reviews; artwork; and announcements of events, projects and conferences with colleagues in academia and beyond. | Take a free subscription
The Newsletter guidelines and deadlines for contributors 2013/2014
Please keep our broad readership in mind. We favour articles that place research in context, contain clear argument and appeal to the intelligent layman. We also occasionally publish opinion pieces: articles not directly based on empirical research, but discussions that are relevant to current affairs, research methods, education, political developments, etc.
Contributions do not go through a process of peer review – responsibility for copyrights, facts and opinions expressed in the publication rests with the authors.
Contributions should not have been published elsewhere, or have been submitted to another publication for consideration. If a contribution has already been published in a (substantially) different structure, then please inform the editor of this so that the appropriate references can be made.
Authors interested in contributing are strongly encouraged to read previous issues first, to become familiar with our style.
Contributions must be written in grammatically correct and clear English, and have preferably already been (professionally) edited. Submissions with severe language issues will be returned for revision.
Please submit all contributions by email to email@example.com, with documents attached. Images should be attached separately.
Please contact the editor Sonja Zweegers with any questions or to receive previous issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming deadlines for drafts of research articles (please notify the editor of your intent to contribute in advance so that a number of pages can be earmarked for your submission)
- Summer 2014 #68 (pub date June 2014) – 15 March 2014
- Autumn 2014 #69 (pub date September 2014) – 15 June 2014
- Winter 2014 #70 (pub date December 2014) – 15 September 2014
- Spring 2015 #71 (pub date March 2015) – 15 December 2014
Research articles (the Study)
- 1300-1800 words per page, depending on the number of images you would like to include (see below)
- articles can be 1 or 2 pages
- please provide a title, a lead paragraph (less than 100 words), and a few section headings
- name, affiliation, email, research areas of interest
- please provide appropriate and good quality images to accompany the article (see below)
Book, journal, film and website reviews (the Review)
Publications available for review can be found on our website www.NewAsiaBooks.org. Alternatively you may submit reviews of books, journals, films or websites of your own choosing.
Please note: there are no deadlines for submitting reviews. Reviews are generally evaluated in the order they are received – ‘First come First serve’. As the publication time nears for each issue, authors will be informed if/when their review will be published in The Newsletter or if it will only be posted online at www.NewAsiaBooks.org
Reviews of books received from us must be submitted to the editor, within 4 months of receipt of the book, and may not be published anywhere else.
Reviews of books in your own possession can be posted directly onto the NewAsiaBooks website, by registering as a user. These reviews will then no longer be considered for publication in The Newsletter.
- Monographs: 800-1200 words
- Journals, edited volumes or multiple book reviews: up to 1800 words
- Full citation: Farquhar, Judith, ed. 2004. Appetites: Food and Sex in Post-Socialist China.Durham andLondon: Duke University Press. 341 pp. ISBN 0-8223-2921-2 (paperback)
- Title and two or three section headings
- Appropriate image(s)
- Name, affiliation, email, etc.
- Digital photographs, maps, sketches, cartoons and artwork are welcome
- Images must be free of copyright, or have permission from the owner.
- Please provide full captions and sources for each image
- JPG or TIF files
- At least 1000 x 600 pixels; 300 dpi
- Italics for published titles and non-English words
- Double quotation marks for direct quotes (single quotation marks for quotes-in-quotes)
- Single quotation marks for emphasis of a word, for ironic or otherwise unusual use of a word, etc.
- Our language is 'mid-Atlantic': neither rigidly British nor consistently American English, but usually following the preference of each contributor. Consistency is key: choose one and stick to it.
- Keep notes and references to a necessary minimum: for direct quotes and others' ideas; uncontroversial facts need not be referenced.
Notes and citations should be endnotes
Please note that the Newsletter never guarantees publication.
Sonja Zweegers, editor
International Institute for Asian Studies
P.O. Box 9500 / 2300 RA Leiden / the Netherlands
T +31(0)71 527 8584; F +31(0)71 527 4162